Thursday, June 25, 2009

Kumato Tomato Salad

Have you tried a kumato yet?

Although it's billed as the "brown tomato", the color is really more like a blend of dark greens and reds. I was craving a tomato salad but my local Wegman's was running low on heirloom tomatoes that day, so I ended up buying kumatoes (package of 5 for $2.99). They were hard and green when I bought them so I let them ripen for a couple days on my kitchen counter.

These tomatoes actually smell like tomatoes, not like the pale tasteless overbred tomatoes we are so used to finding in our supermarkets. You can even smell the natural sweetness emanating from these little beauties! And they didn't let me down, they were super sweet and delicious, definitely a good substitute for heirloom tomatoes!

Kumato Tomato Salad


Ingredients
ripe kumato tomatoes, chopped
kalamata olives, pitted and sliced in half
fresh mozzarella, cubed
red onion, chopped
fresh basil, chiffonade
garlic croutons (prepared or homemade)
extra virgin olive oil
balsamic reduction (simmer inexpensive balsamic vinegar in a saucepan until it becomes thick and syrupy)


Directions
Combine first 6 ingredients in a bowl. Drizzle with extra virgin olive oil and toss lightly. Plate and drizzle with balsamic syrup. Serve with a glass of your favorite wine!




Where to buy:

Mastronardi/Sunset Produce has recently added the European kumato to their Sunset brand, and are now distributing kumatoes across North America. Look for them in your local supermarket!

Share/Save/Bookmark

20 comments:

KennyT said...

I wanna try Kumato and heirloom tomatoes, weep weep.

Jenn said...

I've had heirlooms, but I don't think I've had kumato. I'll jave to look out for that.

Delicious looking salad.

Anonymous said...

No way! I just posted about Kumato tomatoes too :) I thought they were excellent and hoping to get more next time I shop.

Unknown said...

I would have guessed these were some type of heirloom tomatoes. I have never seen them in the shops, but if i do, I will definitely give it a try. Have a wonderful weekend daaaaahling.

xxx said...

never had kumatoes b4. hehe.. interesting! wow weee.. hehe.. try to get em here soon. hehe.. :p happy weekend!! :)

Unknown said...

Never had kumato. Nice looking salad.

Phyllis said...

Kenny: Then I'm going to have to figure out a way to send you some!

Jenn: It was delicious. Hope you can find kumatoes!

5 star foodie: WAAAY! Love the kumato tart you made. I was super skeptical, kinda expecting them to be bland like most supermarket tomatoes, but I was pleasantly surprised. Can't wait to get more either :)

Heavenly Housewife: I think Marks & Spencer may have them!!!

Mira: I think they've had kumatoes in Australia for a while now. Not that far away from Malaysia!

A2Z Vegetarian Cuisine: Thanks! the salad is really easy and perfect for summer. Hope you get to try the kumato!

Kris said...

Everyone needs to make this salad. It's the Da-Bomb! I love it!
-Hubby Kris

Phyllis said...

Kris: Thanks, cutie! Love ya XOXOXO

Anonymous said...

I'd never even heard of this until I stumled upon your blog. Now I get to sound smart! yay!

Dragon said...

I love the deep colour of the Kumato. This salad is gorgeous!

The Floating Gin Palace said...

Hi Phyllis,

I love your blog! It is very informative and entertaining.Keep us the good work :)
Annie

Anonymous said...

Excellent job!

oysterCulture said...

Kumatos are fun and your tomato salad sounds like the perfect way to start off the 4th!

Unknown said...

I really wanted to look for these this weekend, but things got complicated ... in-laws issues :P
You are so right to ban them!

Phyllis said...

burpandslurp: the Kumato is pretty new to North America, I hadn't heard of it till recently too!

Dragon: Thanks! Check out 5 star foodie's recent post - her Kumato was a lovely brown color (I was too anxious to wait)

Annie: Thank you for your kind words :)

Anonymous: Thanks!

OysterCulture: Yes, perfect for the 4th! Hubby has asked me to make this salad for him all summer long though :)

Heavenly Housewife: Oh dear! Sorry you weren’t able to get the baby Kumatoes at M&S!

Teanna said...

Oh man, I miss Wegman's like no other. I found my Wegman's card from college and shed a tear. You are so lucky! That salad looks delicious!

Phyllis said...

Teanna: Awww...I guess I am pretty lucky to have a Wegman's nearby, but I currently have a love/hate relationship with them - love the prices and general concept of the store, hate that they run out of everything midday and don't restock. I'm actually really excited about Trader Joe's coming to my area.

Tangled Noodle said...

I saw 5 Star's post and one other (oooo - can't remember!) about these. They look amazing! I know I haven't seen them around here (par for the course) but then again, I've been cooped up at home, blogging and blog reading. They sound really tasty so if I come across any, I'll definitely try them out!

Phyllis said...

Tangled Noodle: I just bought some more today at Wegmans! I hope you can find them - they are really sweet due to a high 'brix' level and so pretty to look at.