Sunday, August 2, 2009

I went to Ireland and all I got were these 17 bags of potato crisps...

I'm a bit strange when I go on vacation - I never shop for clothes or souvenirs but I always buy every salty snack food I see.

On our recent trip to Dublin, I picked up every variety of
Taytos (Irish inventor of the cheese and onion crisp) including Chipsticks and Mighty Munch, 2 kinds of prawn cocktail chips, worcester flavored Hunky Dorys, Thai green curry crackers and potato rings from Marks & Spencer, Hula Hoops, and something called Meanies (pickled onion flavor). A bit obsessive, I know, but Ireland's known for their potatoes, right?

No room in my luggage meant that these potato crisps were thrown into a hotel plastic laundry bag which then became my 1 allowed piece of carry-on baggage. Hubby Kris guarded the overhead compartment bin (with his life) to make sure my precious cargo didn't get crushed by someone's heavy baggage (nobody messes with my snacks!) And as usual, got interrogated by customs at JFK and had to reveal my stash (good times). It was SO worth it though :)




Share/Save/Bookmark

11 comments:

Unknown said...

Lol, thats so cute. I haven't heard of most of these. You must have really scoured Dublin! When I was last in america the things i took home with me were: white chocolate peanut butter, orange slices in marmalade, ghirardelli white choclate and chocolate peanut butter squares, and biscotti. Oh and i took my moms kitchenaid ice cream maker attatchment :) (still havent used it).
How many do u have left?

Jenn said...

I remember doing the same thing when I went home to the Philippines. My luggage was full of snacks. My cousins thought I was crazy. LOL.

KennyT said...

Smuggling!!!

Sue said...

You are too much! Are you going to report your findings? The Meanies sound dreadful, the Prawn cocktail chips could be awesome.

Your husband is worth his weight in...I guess, this week, it's chips.

Justin said...

when i was in london last summer, i tried all these indian-flavored chips... i miss those

Anonymous said...

Wow, that is a lot of different kinds of potato chips! Very neat!

OysterCulture said...

ha ha - that picture is no surprise to me, I bet you'll have a lot of fun sampling and recalling the great times you had in Dublin. I'll see if I can top you =)

Phyllis said...

Heavenly Housewife: Ooh... all those American 'souvenirs' sound yummy! Believe it or not, I've only eaten 2 bags of the crips so far. I get weird with my snacks when I know I can't get them again easily. So I ration them so they'll last for a while ;P

Jenn: So I guess the customs people in LAX are pretty familiar with you too :)

Kenny: I declared EVERYTHING I purchased, even under the threat that they would be taken away from me(my worst nightmare!)

Sue: I've actually tried most of these type of snacks before when travelling in Canada and Asia. Hula Hoops are awesome - crunchy potato rings (similar to Roller Coasters which I can get here) and prawn cocktail crisps are not fishy at all, the seasoning tastes more like salad dressing - a bit tangy. And I'm actually looking forward to the pickled onion Meanies!

Justin: Mmmmm...Indian-flavored chips - will have to look for those if I'm ever in London! I love Indian-style snacks (always have some bhel puri around to snack on) but I got some awesome tandoori sizzler flavored Doritos in Vancouver last year - yummy.

5 Star Foodie: Every trip I come back with at least this many snacks, but this is the first time I've taken a photo!

OysterCulture: Haha...bring it on! :)

Daily Spud said...

I will of course want to know what your favourite turns out to be! In my book, it is truly hard to beat the classic Tayto Cheese & Onion, though I'm also partial to the occasional Tayto Salt & Vinegar...

Phyllis said...

Daily Spud: HELLO! I checked out your fabulous blog for tips before I went to Dubin. Your guest post on cheapeats.ie also came in very handy, especially for my vegan friend who loved Cornucopia! I'm looking forward to trying the Taytos - will definitely report back about my favorites!

pigpigscorner said...

Wow, that is a lot of crisps! Would love to do that, but my hubs like to travel light!