Thursday, February 4, 2010

Dim Sum at Sunny Palace, East Brunswick NJ


As Chinese New Year approaches, I start getting mad cravings for Asian food.

Last weekend I was DESPERATE for
dim sum. YEARNING for yum-cha. And willing to drive 40 miles for it.

I started grabbing items off dim sum carts before Kris could even sit down.

har gow (shrimp dumpling):


siu mai (pork dumpling):


scallion cakes:


shrimp spring rolls:


lo bak goh (pan fried radish cake):


bible tripe:


lo mai gai (sticky rice wrapped in lotus leaf):


stewed beef tripe:


congee w/ pork & century egg:


stuffed eggplant:


Yes, 10 dishes is a lot for 2 people. But I kinda lost control (this is what happens when I don't have dim sum for over 6 months). Thank goodness the dishes were reasonably priced from $2.50 - $4.

Despite being a dim sum 'snob' from Vancouver, I found the quality of the food at Sunny Palace fairly decent. Hubby was also impressed with the restaurant's cleanliness and ample parking. We'll definitely be back.

Kris had to literally drag me out of the restaurant, as I couldn't get enough of the giant aquarium located in the main entrance,
especially this cutie-patootie puffer fish:


Sunny Palace
1069 Route 18
South East Brunswick, NJ 08816
(732) 651-8668
http://www.sunnypalace.com/




Share/Save/Bookmark

10 comments:

Jenn said...

I love dim sum. Last time I went was just with my best friend and I think we order the same amount of food as you and Kris. They're just too tempting not to get right?

Cute little puffer fish, too. hehehe...

Tangled Noodle said...

I'm. So. Jealous. The dim sum choices here are really slim and the halfway decent ones are quite expensive! I love each and every one of your choices but I could eat a dozen lo mai gai (OK, bit of an exaggeration but not by much)! I'd be willing and happy to drive 40 miles for good dim sum. 8-)

KennyT said...

The dim sum look very Hong Kong to me!

Btw, the fish looks like as if it's smiling, how cute!

Did you finish all 10 dishes of dim sum? The ant and me could barely finish 8 dishes last Sunday, I'm bowing to you and Kris if you did!!!

Phyllis said...

Jenn: We were super greedy that day (oink!) And we would have ordered more if they had Kris' favorite, 'wu gok' (fried taro dumplings) but they'd run out of them :)

Tangled Noodle: The lo mai gai was really good - one dish came with 2 bundles so we didn't have to fight over it. And although I'm thrilled to have a local NJ option for dim sum, my #1 dim sum haven is still Vancouver, so you need to get yourself a plane ticket ASAP!

Kenny: I can't wait to come to Hong Kong so I can compare for myself :) And yes, that puffer fish was really adorable, it looked like a cartoon.

Unknown said...

Everything look so nice, especially the dumplings. I always find them so pretty. You know what is so cool? If you think about it, dim sum is the Chinese version of the British afternoon tea! Funnily enough, we are both totally more interested in the food LOL.
Just out of curiosity, do they do sweets?
*kisses* HH
p.s. that puffer fish is just too cute. I love it when animal look slightly on the chunky side, it makes them look like they are loved and cared for.

Phyllis said...

Heavenly Housewife: It's totally the Chinese version of afternoon tea :) Yes, they do sweets at dim sum, there are egg custard tarts (don tot), fried sesame balls (jin dui), mango pudding, coconut pudding, sweet tofu etc...

Anonymous said...

The dim sum here looks terrific! Sounds like it was worth driving such a long way!

Phyllis said...

5 Star Foodie: Definitely worth the drive. Apparently there are other dim sum places in NJ for us to check out so I guess we'll be hitting the road a lot more!

Daily Spud said...

Gosh, it's been a long time and a lot of miles (even more than 40!) since I last had anything resembling dim sum - not even sure where you'd get good stuff here!

Phyllis said...

Daily Spud: I had dim sum 'separation anxiety' just moving from Vancouver to NJ. I'm not sure what I'd do if I couldn't have it!