Thursday, March 19, 2009

Century Egg: Revisited

Yeah, I know it's not Weird Food Wednesday but I've been getting a lot of feedback on my recent century egg post, ranging from "eew -I can't believe you actually eat that!" to "sounds good, where can I find it?"

My cousin Anne-Marie, a fellow century egg aficionado, said the p
hoto accompanying the original post would probably scare most people off. She recommended that I show a more appealing photo, say...of century egg used in an actual recipe, such as congee.


Congee is a rice porridge eaten in several Asian countries. I crave it all the time as a comfort food, but it's traditionally served for breakfast or late night supper. The simplest congee is made with 2 ingredients (water and rice), so it's easily digested by babies and the infirm. A perfect recession food because it can stretch one cup of rice to feed several people. My favorite congee is made with century egg and pork, which I recently learned how to make myself.

So Tangled Noodle, this one's for you:


Share/Save/Bookmark

6 comments:

KennyT said...

:) u may also sample a slice of century egg after sipping some Coke (Coca Cola, not Pepsi!), dunno why, this makes both taste even better. Guess it's like eating cheese while drinking wine.

Bon appétit.

Coconut Girl Connie said...

yeah, baby! When we order them in Hawaii we just call them salted "duck egg" we are so old world farmer, yeah? I like century egg, it makes it sound so much more classy! Thanks for the congee recipe.

Anonymous said...

Very cool - I really developed a taste for congee when I was in Hong Kong - thanks for sharing, as always - I LOVE the Wednesday posts!

Tangled Noodle said...

Yay! Thank you so much!! I told Mr. Noodle to expect congee and century eggs this Sunday. He's looking forward to it, considering he ate balut and lived to tell the tale. 8-)

I promise to let you know how it turns out!

Anonymous said...

I've never had this dish - definitely something new and interesting to try soon!

gaga said...

Yum, I love congee with century eggs and pork too. It's the best!