Sunday, February 1, 2009

Red Cat

The Red Cat
(227 10th Ave b/t 23rd & 24th St, New York, NY)
Our friend Rory heard good things about this place so we met here last Saturday night for dinner. I was intrigued after discovering that my favorite chef, Harold Dieterle of Perilla Restaurant, had been groomed at Red Cat's sister restaurant, The Harrison. Plus, they had sweetbreads on the menu, so I couldn't say no. The sweetbread appetizer (pictured above) didn't disappoint - deep-fried chicken nugget-y goodness. But the vegetables that came with them were a bit oversalted. I stole a bite of my husband's potato pierogies-very tasty. The crispy sauteed skatewing as my entree was also aggressively seasoned - a little heavy handed with the salt in the kitchen that night. But the red hot rapini and the tempura green bean sides were both great. The rapini (broccoli rabe) was pleasantly garlicky but not bitter/spicy at all and the green beans were light and crispy. My husband's braised lamb entree was very tender, but curry seasoning with lamb isn't exactly groundbreaking. For dessert, my husband tried the pistachio semifreddo which was served with a dramatic pour of hot fudge right at the table. My husband, a total chocoholic, loved it. I tried the peanut butter parfait, topped with a peanut butter mouse which was a little too peanut-y at first, until I reached the salted brittle further down in my glass and then the flavors and textures finally coalesced. Although the restaurant was fully booked on a Saturday night, we didn't feel rushed through our meal at all. The service was lovely and the decor inviting. $115 per couple before tax & tip (including 2 beverages)
The Verdict: Great service, decent food.

Tempura Green Beans

Potato Pierogies
Crispy Sauteed Skatewing
Braised Lamb with Curried Cous Cous
Pistachio SemiFreddo with Hot Fudge
Peanut Butter Parfait

Share/Save/Bookmark